Skip to main content

'Not just a vehicle': Kitchener man celebrates recovery of stolen accessible van

Keenan O’Donoghue's 2015 Toyota Sienna wheelchair accessible van. (Facebook)
Keenan O’Donoghue's 2015 Toyota Sienna wheelchair accessible van. (Facebook)

A Kitchener man has had his wheelchair accessible van returned, thanks to help from the community after it was stolen from his driveway earlier this month.

Keenan O’Donoghue took to social media on Sunday to let the public know that his 2015 Toyota Sienna wheelchair-accessible van was located by a member of the public, called into regional police, and taken to headquarters for an investigation.

The van was stolen from the driveway of his parents’ home earlier this month, taking away his freedom and connection to family, friends, and his appointments.

“This van is not just a vehicle. It is my independence, my freedom, my ability to live my life and get where I need to go. Having it stolen felt devastating,” said O’Donoghue in a post on social media.

According to his post, when the van was located, it was allegedly full of construction equipment, but the exterior of the van was undamaged.

O’Donoghue’s original post to social media was shared nearly 1,000 times to communities around Ontario.

“The amount of love and support we have received has been unbelievable,” said O’Donoghue. “This experience has reminded me that even in difficult moments, people are still incredibly good. When a community comes together like this, truly nothing feels impossible.”


Now playing on: